Crystal Canterbury

North Carolina's Department of Public Instruction (DPI) released the first Public School Performance Grades on February 5, 2015.

Each school was graded from A-F on a 15-point scale. 80% of the final grade was based on how well the students did on the new state standardized tests; the remaining 20% was based on proof of academic growth and success at each school. Statewide statistics show that 5.4% of public schools received an A, 24% a B, 41.4% earned C's, 23.1% received a D, and 6% received an F.

Ocracoke School earned an A, making the students, faculty, and staff part of the 5.4% of outstanding schools in the state.

Ocracoke was one of only 12 schools to earn an A statewide, which is even more impressive considering Ocracoke School houses grades Pre-K through 12. When the schools were assessed, each grade level (elementary, middle, and high) was evaluated. The final grade is the average of each grade level, proving that Ocracoke School is a superior school across the board.

Principal Walt Padgett said, "The effort of our students and the jobs our teachers do, plus parent and community involvement make the school successful. And our kids are very disciplined and can balance academics and athletics to be successful in both; they are mature beyond their years."

Mr. Padgett continued, saying, "I'm very proud of our kids and of our faculty and staff, and so is our Superintendent."

These kids were on the all A's Honor Roll for the 2nd nine weeks.
These kids were on the all A's Honor Roll for the 2nd nine weeks.


All “A” Honor Roll – 2nd Nine Weeks

3rd Grade: Alyssa Bryan, Maren Donlon, Emilia Jordan, Dibanhi Santiago, Christian Stevens

4th Grade: Maggie Evans, Katie Kinnion

5th Grade: Julian Bennink, Jackson Strange

6th Grade: Dylan Esham, Cole Gilbert 

7th Grade: Mila Ortiz

8th Grade: Mackenzie O’Neal, Samantha Sutton

10th Grade: Dylan Sutton

11th Grade: Deana Seitz

12th Grade: Hunter Belch

These kids earned all A's and B's for the 2nd nine weeks.
These kids earned all A's and B's for the 2nd nine weeks.

“A/B” Honor Roll - 2nd Nine Weeks

3rd Grade: Ronald Contreras, Daymon Esham, Yuletzy Hernandez, Elsie Kattenburg, Will O’Neal, Silas Trethewey, Alex Villanueva

4th Grade: Max Elicker, Wyatt Giagu, Preston Mason, Chandler O’Neal, Marlene Tellez, Gisselle Perez, Valerie Rodriguez

5th Grade: Odalys Garcia, Lachlan Howard, Brandt O’Neal, Edwin Perez, Jayden West

6th Grade: Hannah Belch, Mason Fuller, Mackenzie Novak, Alexander O’Neal, Russell Stevens

7th Grade: Jamie Paul

8th Grade: Colby Austin, Alston Belch, Ingrid Contreras, Taylor Fuller, Cody Pinter, Kalai Samick

9th Grade: Liam Caswell, Darvin Contreras, Mac Kalna, Sammy Marinace

10th Grade: Carson O’Neal, Stacey O’Neal, Jordi Perez, Karen Perez, Karla Perez

11th Grade: Ariana Trejo, Josie Winstead

12th Grade: Hunter Collins, Abigail Morris, Katie O’Neal, Lucy O’Neal, Samantha Styron